Monday, May 23, 2011

Organized Chaos

So today we were back at Kwazaquele Clinic doing stuff. I was back in pediatrics, as I have been so far. It was very, very busy, as every Monday is apparently. I started off with Sara in a room where all the kids who get to be patients went to get weighed...there were kids everywhere! They would cram 8 kids and their moms into this small room and have them all weighed at once. Since little kids don't like taking their clothes off (they get cold), there was constant crying/screaming in the room. Towards the beginning, a little boy peed all over the floor...and they never cleaned it up. It's like they pretended it wasn't there; even the nurses! And these little kids were walking barefoot across the floor! So much for a sanitary environment...anyway, things got more interesting later in the day. We (me and Sara) were allowed to give vaccinations to these little babies who were 6 weeks old! We gave them in the thighs and took blood for HIV tests from their feet. But man, those needles are HUGE, much bigger than I think they should be for where they're giving the shot. It was cool though to actually be able to use those skills. After clinical, we were supposed to teach some kids at an elementary school some first aid stuff, but the school had no idea we were coming due to the poor communication between NMMU and the school, so we got a free day instead! We ate lunch on this beach, and although it was sunny, it was windy so it was a bit cooler and sand was blowing all over the place. I did manage to doze off though, although I have no idea how since I was on this rock hard cement...guess I was tired! I ended up going grocery shopping with Beth in the afternoon and sitting out on a porch reading. It's nice just relaxing in South Africa, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment