Friday, May 20, 2011

Crazy Mommas

Today was a clinical day where we actually used a tiny bit of our skill set. My group was sent to a clinic where we were distributed among different areas. I ended up working with kids 2 months-5 years of age, where were either sick or needed drugs for HIV/AIDS. I was able to listen to lung sounds, count breaths, and take temps, and she used MY findings to diagnose! Her complete trust in my skills kind of shocked me. I mean, I believe my data and conclusions were correct, but I'm no RN, so I was surprised she never once asked to double-check, especially when she came to the conclusion that they had some condition that needed treatment.
There was once major incident that ticked off and stunned both me and my nurse. A woman came in with a child that wasn't hers...the thing is that the woman doesn't even KNOW the child at all; the mother PAID her to take the child to the appointment and watch him until she could pick him up. The problem? The mom doesn't know the woman either! She's a complete stranger! Would you trust some random woman to take good care of your 2-year-old child?  Because of this, we didn't have any info on the exact age, medical history, immunizations, symptoms...it was bad. I just wanted to take that child and hold onto him until his idiotic and irresponsible mother came to get him. After clinical, I took a nap, which was super nice :-) We went to a braai, which is a bbq potluck type thing that the profs threw for us. The food was good and it was nice to have a free meal. Then a bunch of us nursing girls hung out for awhile in one of the apartments until it was discovered that there were a large number of these beetle things in the main hallway outside the apartment (and one got into their bathroom!). It was kind of gross, not just because they are beetles, but because 2 of them were mating (or one was trying to but the other beetle didn't seem interested). We did manage to get to our room unscathed though, which is always nice :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment